RYA COMPETENT CREW COURSE
WHO IS THE RYA COMPETENT CREW COURSE FOR?
The RYA Competent Crew course is ideal for beginners or dinghy sailors and for those who would like to become active crew members. The course gives you the chance to live on board and really get to know a boat.
HOW LONG IS THE RYA COMPETENT CREW COURSE IN MENORCA?
The RYA Competent Crew Course is a 5-day practical course. You will spend this time onboard the yacht under the watchful eye of our professional instructors learning to sail whilst enjoying the beautiful sailing areas and turquoise waters that Menorca has to offer.
WHAT WILL I LEARN ON THE RYA COMPETENT CREW COURSE?
The RYA Competent Crew Course teaches you the basics of how to sail and to become a valuable crew member aboard a sailing vessel. By the end of the course you should be able to steer, handle sails, keep a lookout, row a dinghy and assist in all the day to day duties on board.
WHERE WILL I SAIL TO DURING MY RYA COMPETENT CREW COURSE IN MENORCA?
During the course we will explore many of the bays and anchorages that dot the shores of the fabulous island of Menorca. Each day at lunchtime, we will stop and drop anchor or moor up in beautiful unspoilt coves giving students the opportunity to relax over a tasty lunch or dive into the water to enjoy a swim from the boat. Evening stops may enable us to go alongside, in the pretty old fishing harbour of Fornells, famous for its great seafood restaurants, in the picturesque anchorage of Addaya or the old capital, Ciutadella.
RYA COMPETENT CREW COURSE AIMS
- To cover the full RYA Competent Crew Syllabus
- To introduce good seamanship skills
- To teach students to become confident in Mediterranean mooring techniques (stern or bow to the quay)
- To enable each student to become a safe, confident crew with good sailing skills.
CONTENT COVERED DURING THE RYA COMPETENT CREW COURSE
- Knowledge of sea terms and parts of a boat.
- Knowledge of rigging and sails, sail handling and ropework.
- Understanding fire precautions and fire fighting on board.
- Awareness and knowledge of how to operate personal safety equipment and emergency safety equipment board
- Knowledge of man overboard procedures.
- Understanding of meteorology, seasickness, helmsmanship, general duties and sailing manners and customs,
- Basic knowledge of rules of the road.
- Knowledge of how to operate tenders and dinghies.
Duration: 5 days
No of Students: 4/5 maximum and 2 minimum
Accommodation: 5/6 nights aboard
Qualification achieved: RYA Comp Crew Cert
Pre-Course experience: None
FEES (including Spanish Tax)
Price per person in shared cabin / saloon berth
FEES (including Spanish Tax)
Private Cabin (single occupancy)
Family / Private Charter with tuition (including spanish tax)
Price may vary acording to size of family or private group
Please note that we will always try to find you a suitable cabin mate for your course. Berths are in a shared double cabin or saloon berth. If you would prefer to guarantee that you will not be sharing with anyone, you can choose to book a private cabin.
WHAT YOUR FEES INCLUDE
- Fully qualified professional instruction and all safety equipment
- Accommodation on board for 5/6 nights
- Fresh Mediterranean cuisine for lunch each day
- Mooring fees in Mahón Harbour and Fornells
- Freshly laundered sheets and bedding
- RYA cruising Log Book G15
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Flights (2.5 hrs. duration)
- Mooring fees away from Mahón Harbour & Fornells. Anchoring options available
- Holiday insurance (You need normal cancellation, lost cash etc. Please show details on your booking form)
- Shore based accommodation (Accommodation options)
“Andy was an extraordinary instructor calm, informed with a reflective style of teaching. You are very lucky to have an instructor of such merit”.
“Andy was an excellent instructor, I feel my knowledge. instincts for sailing and wind and my approach to sailing improved dramatically. He is the perfect combination of an instructor who takes his subject very seriously with discipline and someone who is passionate and finds the fun in what he teaches”.
A big thank you.
Four years ago you helped us to start our sailing adventure with a competent crew course. A year later, a day skipper course, designed specifically around the needs of a husband and wife team to short-handed sail in safety paved the way for our first Yacht.
We shall greatly miss the beautiful island of Menorca but perhaps more we will miss the professional, honest advice and a sense of humor that prevailed no matter what!!
Thank you again for flattening the learning curve in such a nice way.
Great week sailing
“I had a great week. Andy dealt with all our different levels very well making sure everyone got to try everything. I was never made to feel stupid and he answered all of my questions. I feel much more confident than at the beginning of the week”.
“I was very impressed with Andy as an instructor. He was extremely thorough and very flexible in his teaching based on the conditions. He allowed us to go beyond the Competent Crew syllabus and helped with further work that would be useful for Day Skipper. The room was better than expected. I would definitely recommend to friends to come here to do similar courses and will return if I charter a yacht”.
“Andy was a very knowledgeable instructor with the patience of a saint! Thank you for a great week”.
Loved the Day Skipper Course
“I absolutely loved the course and made some really fantastic friends. I am completely smitten with sailing now and plan to do my Day Skipper Theory in September. Hopefully will return to do the practical next summer, and perhaps talk some of my friends into doing the competent crew at the same time. Thanks for a brilliant holiday”!
RYA Principal & Chief Instructor
RYA Sailing Courses
Comp Crew, Day Skipper & More
Charter & Boat Preparation
Send us a message:
A great gift option for sailors or those who want to learn to sail.
click here for more details.